Cancers are a large family of diseases that involve abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to other parts of the body. They form a subset of neoplasms. A neoplasm or tumor is a group of cells that have undergone unregulated growth and will often form a mass or lump, but may be distributed diffusely.
All tumor cells show the six hallmarks of cancer. These characteristics are required to produce a malignant tumor. They include
- Cell growth and divisionabsent the proper signals
- Continuous growth and division even given contrary signals
- Avoidance ofprogrammed cell death
- Limitless number of cell divisions
- Promotingblood vessel construction
- Invasion of tissue and formation ofmetastases
The progression from normal cells to cells that can form a detectable mass to outright cancer involves multiple steps known as malignant progression.
Signs and symptoms
Symptoms of cancer metastasis depend on the location of the tumor.
When cancer begins, it produces no symptoms. Signs and symptoms appear as the mass grows or ulcerates. The findings that result depend on the cancer’s type and location. Few symptoms are specific. Many frequently occur in individuals who have other conditions. Cancer is a “great imitator“. Thus, it is common for people diagnosed with cancer to have been treated for other diseases, which were hypothesized to be causing their symptoms.
People may become anxious or depressed post-diagnosis. The risk of suicide in people with cancer is approximately double.
Natural therapies recommended includes:
- Herbal and botanical preparations, such as herbal extracts
- Dietary supplements, such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids
- Physical therapy and exercise therapy, including massage and other gentle techniques used on deep muscles and joints for therapeutic purposes
- Hydrotherapy, which prescribes water-based approaches like hot and cold wraps, and other therapies
- Lifestyle counseling, such as exercise, sleep strategies, stress reduction techniques, as well as foods and nutritional supplements
- Acupuncture, to help with side effects like nausea and vomiting, dry mouth, hot flashes and insomnia
- Chiropractic care, which may include hands-on adjustment, massage, stretching, electronic muscle stimulation, traction, heat, ice and other technique.